Daryl Landau, M.A., M.Sc., Acc.FM
I have been a practicing mediator and consultant for 20 years, specializing first in workplace and community issues, then family matters, and in recent years family businesses and other closely-held corporations. In this work, I am involved in many roles: mediator, coach, investigator/analyst, counsellor, facilitator and business advisor.
My esteemed parents were my first teachers. Barbara Landau, an award-winning family mediator, and Sy Landau, VP of HR. Together we wrote, From Conflict to Creativity (2001). I teach the mediation course we created under Cooperative Solutions. We have trained thousands of new mediators or others who wanted such skills.
While I get satisfaction from helping families begin talking again, and business partners to either resolve their issues or part amicably, I encourage people to prevent problems with ‘partnering’ discussions, and partnership/shareholder agreements. My experience has taught me much about what works and what does not. That’s why I created the Proactive Partnership Tool on my website.
I chair the Advisory Board of the Ontario Small Business Network. I am an active member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario, having been a Director, served on the HR Committee, and currently chair the Business-Commercial ADR Section. I am also a member of two family-focused bodies, FDRIO and OAFM. I am a member of the Canadian Association of Family Enterprise (CAFE) and the Centre for Social Innovation.
Having worked as a mediator at the Human Rights Commission, and currently a vendor of record for the OPS, I handle discrimination and harassment issues for organizations. I have investigated a number of cases, and given sensitivity coaching to employees.
A list of additional information, mainly training I’ve taken, follows on the next page. Please follow me, like me, and join me on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. I look forward to helping you, your family and/or business reach your business and personal goals!
My Training and Other Info
- Masters degree in Conflict Analysis and Resolution, George Mason University, US
- Certified in the EQ-i and EQ-360 assessment tool
- Over 100 hours of general mediation training
- 70 hours of family mediation training
- 14 hours of Family Law education
- Finance and Capital Markets online course (Kahn)
- Accredited Family Mediator (AccFM) from the Ontario Association of Family Mediation (OAFM) since 1997
- Certificate in Brief and Narrative Therapy, Hincks-Dellcrest Institute (with U of T social work, 1 year program)
- Volunteer counsellor at the West End Walk-In Clinic (1 year)
- Courses in Group Facilitation
- Course on Couples Counselling
- Course on Elder Care Mediation
- Extensive research and mentored learning on Family Business Advising, Workplace Investigations
- Master’s degree in History